Individuals and families who seek counseling or therapy services do so for a number of reasons. In general, people are experiencing conflict, discomfort, distress, concern about a loved one, or a desire to pursue a dream or a goal that feels like it is beyond their grasp. The experience may be chronic, related to a recent event, or a combination of both. They feel that they have tried the methods that they know and used the supports that they have without adequate results. It is time for something new.
Joan Willemain’s Qualifications
- WA State Licensed Mental Health Counselor
- Child Mental Health Specialist
- WA State Approved Supervisor
- Over twenty years experience in clinical social work, counseling, and mental health
- Over five years experience in supervision and program development
I am a clinical social worker with over twenty years’ experience post-Masters. My background includes many years dedicated to practice in non-profit agencies. This has included community mental health, public health, Special Education and child welfare. Since 1988 I have specialized in children, families, and adults recovering from abuse. Since 1994 I have focused my agency practice primarily on very young children and their caregivers, and currently work as a therapist in the infant mental health program of a community agency. I started part time private practice in 2000, providing consultation, training, and supervision, and later therapy for adolescents and adults. In 2010 I happily returned to WA after a number of years practicing on the East Coast, and in 2012 I reopened my private practice in WA.
Over the years my education, training, and work with clients has included psycho-dynamic and family systems approaches, attachment and developmental theory. I incorporate practical strategies that borrow from cognitive behavioral theory and dialectical behavioral therapy . While I believe in having an updated “tool chest” for doing therapy, the most important aspect is the relationship we develop together.
I encourage self-acceptance while supporting positive change and help you define the steps you need to take along the way. My approach with all clients is respectful, practical, and mindful of the difficulty you are experiencing. Through compassionate listening, exploring areas of strength and resistance, teaching skills, and celebrating success, we take a journey together down a path of greater satisfaction and deeper relationships.
Education and Licensure:
- Social Worker Independent Clinical License (LICSW), WA State #LW00006182
- Previously licensed for clinical practice in Maryland and New York; those licenses are currently inactive
- Masters in Social Work, Children and Families, University of WA, Seattle, WA, 1990
- BA with Honors in Visual Arts with Concentration in Art Therapy, Goucher College, Towson, MD, 1979
- I have received extensive continuing education and post graduate training in the areas of counseling, Special Education, Infant Mental Health, and other specialty topics
Memberships and Associations:
- National Association Social Workers
- WA State Society for Clinical Social Workers
- WA Association for Infant Mental Health